Organically DevOps: Building Quality and Security into the Software Supply Chain at Liberty Mutual
Link to full Talk
This talk looked at Liberty Mutual’s transformation to Continuous Integration, Continuous Delivery, and DevOps. For a large, heavily regulated industry, this task can not only be daunting, but viewed by many as impossible. Often, organizations try to reduce the friction through micro-fixes, but Eddie’s team asked how to change the culture to reduce the friction and concluded with the following final points:
- Don’t mandate DevOps. Give employees the chance to master their discipline with examples to set and follow.
- Favor deep end-to-end accomplishments over broad but incremental steps forward. Focus on taking the right teams far before encouraging broad adoption.
- Centralize the platforms and tools that your teams shouldn’t be thinking about. Provide foundational services/commodities and let teams stay on purpose.
- Incorporate contributions from everyone; don’t stifle autonomy. Stay open to new ways of working.
- Challenge security policies, but respect intentions. Find new ways to enforce concerns without abandoning precaution.